Re: Moral Development and the Plan

Mar 29, 1995 11:23 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

> Lewis quoted ASTREA and replied [in part] thus:
>
> To look at it from another point of view, that conduct is not
> something that is just "adopted" by an reluctant personality, but is
> the result of the development of principles based on laws in nature.
> Laws which are benign in intent, aiming at developing individuals
> "latent" powers of compassion, love, and a lucid understanding of
> how to nurture these qualities in others.

<much snippping> (Sounds like one of our English Villages - "Have
you been to Much Snipping - such a dear little church and pub ...")

While this is, as you say, a point of view, what is the _evidence_
for laws of nature being benign in intent, aiming at the utopian
outcome posited by such a view?

> One of the real disturbing trends of today is this growing lack of
> tolerance for differing views. The library I work in has gone through
> two attempts to remove books considered offensive to our "christian" -
> -I use a small 'c' on purpose--community. One was successful in
> having a childrens book moved to an adult collection (Heather Has Two
> Mommies) and the other attempt successfully removed the book
> entirely from the collection, not even allowing us to obtain a copy
> from other libraries for patrons who request it (Women on Top).

> Lewis

Sometimes one is tempted to wish that some "christians" could be
as easily banned ...

I personally know of at least two children who have "two mummies"
and fine folk they are - all of them, IMO.

Alan.