Bailey & Theosophy

Mar 29, 1995 11:11 AM
by Nicholas Weeks

Mark Barville> Here are some of the tidbits she gave me: *Lucis
Publishing used to be Lucifer Publishing because it's origins
were in Satan worship.

Nicholas Weeks> Satan, the personal devil, was not believed in by
Blavatsky or her Gurus, so there could be no such "worship." I
have a faint recollection that the first printing of Bailey's
first and/or second "Tibetan" channelled book did have Lucifer
Pub.  on it.  This may have been inspired by the title of HPB's
London journal "Lucifer," the Light Bringer.  See HPB's article
"What's in a Name?" for details.  (Blavatsky Collected Writings,
Vol.  8, p.  5; or the United Lodge of Theosophists has a
pamphlet including it.) In any case, AAB soon replaced it with
Lucis Pubs.

MB> *Alice Bailey, and her writings, came out of theosophy.

NW> Very far out indeed.  She & CW Leadbeater were psychics who
were convinced that the entities they contacted on the inner
planes were the same Adepts that taught Blavatsky.  I,
representing a minority on this list, am equally convinced that
AAB & CWL were deluded.  Since I was a devotee of both for about
15 years, I'm not just popping off.

MB> *The founders of theosophy practiced pedophilia.

NW> False.  There was one TS member (not a founder) of HPB's era,
that I recall, who was so afflicted.  An American, Alexander
Fullerton, who died in 1913.

MB> *Theosophy is concerned with "racial cleansing", that the
"5th race" is the purified white race.

NW> Also pure poppycock.  Theosophy does advocate a "racial
cleansing" of the entire human race; a cleansing of all
selfishness and sense of separateness.

MB> what sources I can go to for a more complete understanding of
Alice Bailey, her books, Lucis Publishing, and what Theosophy has
to do with it all (if anything).

NW> "The Elder Brother" by Gregory Tillett gives much about
Leadbeater, whose teachings were the inspiration for Bailey's
own.  She (or rather the "Tibetan") denys this.  Tillett touches
on her a little.

MB> Is this known propaganda put out by some fundamentalist
religious group...

NW> Probably.  I recall seeing, on a Christian channel, some lady
blaming HPB for the New Age and the rise of Satanism etc.