Brainwashing, etc.

Nov 25, 1997 03:24 AM
by Mark A. Foster

---
At 04:40 AM 11/25/97 -0500,  Nicole Suter wrote:

>That's a very interesting topic you mention here. I think a bit different
>about brainwashing. To me it means the reorientation of a person
>through psychical and physical pressure. It's the pressure, that matters
>the most.

Nicole and others,

The following web page gives a good summary on this subject. It is a bit
dated, however. For instance, it uncritically mentions hypnosis which has
been shown not to be an effective tool for anything (including dredging up
memories and alleviation of compulsive behavior patterns) other than relief
from pain:

http://www.inlink.com/~dhchase/ofshe.htm
------
Mark A. Foster, Ph.D., Prof. of Sociology * owner@sociologist.com