Judging

Aug 26, 1997 04:57 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Surely understanding comes from judgement. Is this not that relative
>concept of logic we use to distinguish between the quality of A versus
>B?

Gary, as I am sure you know, it is not your judgement between
A and B that is the problem, but rather when you conclude that A
is superior to B (or vice versa) that the real problem begins
(e.g., predjudice, egotism, etc.).

>As far as judging "right" versus "wrong", i am led to conclude that this
>is the only way mankind, or an individual, can understand the things
>physically in the universe, in order to progress physically. Whereas
>toward the spiritual, this physical concept simply makes for it to
>become fuzzy.

As you correctly point out, judging right and wrong is perfectly acceptable
when we are oriented towards matter (on the Arc of Descent) --but we
are supposed to be currently on the Arc of Ascent and such silly things
as right and wrong no longer apply. I don't understand your second sentence
in the above quote. If you mean that the dividing line between right and
wrong becomes fuzzy, then I agree with you.

Christians have a long history of judging others, and look at the
pain this has caused the world. I would hope that theosophists have
already learned this lesson.

Jerry S.
Member, TI