Re: Blatant Sexism!

Aug 19, 1997 11:28 PM
by Titus Roth

Tom,

I can see your ostensible point, but I'm not sure what your objective is.  I'm
only guessing that being in a minority position on the list makes you want to
shout a little bit and purposely be the devil's advocate.  (If it's any
comfort, I rather liked your statement that freedom needs some restrictions to
remain freedom.  Too bad some of your good points are unacknowledged.)

However ...

If your attitude on sexism is "I'm standing for my little corner of truth and
digging in my heels until people see it," I think you're asking us to follow a
red herring because you focus on such a small part of the picture; straining
at a gnat and swallowing a camel. Healing first takes place by listening
without being quick to retort with charges of male bashing.  I agree there is
some of that, but it is much less a problem than what women have had to endure
from men for millenia.  Picture forced clitorectomies, brutal abuse, denial of
basic rights ... etc.

If you first demonstrate that you understand the legitimate angers of women,
I think you'll stand a much better chance of your point being taken.

My spiritual teacher was a woman and occasionally made some unflattering
remarks about male attitudes (and women's too).  Both male and female
disciples could take what she had to say because her attitude was not to
divide, but to heal.  Some of us called her the most loving person we ever
met.  I guess we also probably did a little of, "Yeah, that's terrible what
all those other people out there do.  Glad I don't."