Re: To Dare & Try

Jul 31, 1997 12:44 PM
by ramadoss

At 05:33 PM 7/30/97 -0400, Jerry Schueler wrote:
>>For most of us like myself -- who are rookies in this matter and perhaps
>not
>>having taken even 1/100th of a step, even a single step is something to
>look
>>forward to. I always try to take one step at a time!
>>
>>......doss
>

>Doss, I have no problem with what you are saying.  We all
>have to start somewhere, and ethics is probably the best
>first step anyone can take. My problem is with theosophists
>who seem to think that this first step is all there is; that
>we have to sign up with some guru and undergo trials
>and tribulates as a chela in order to go further.  This is not
>true

        I agree with your statement. The traditional "sheep" model that many
find it convenient may be ok for them. On the other hand, anyone who had
read ML to APS and some of HPB's writings, should understand the utter
importance of being able to take matters into our own hands and set
ourselves a direction right for ourselves keeping always in focus the
primary objective of Theosophy - viz helping the suffering Humanity in
whatever little way we can. HPB has also clearly stated that the job of TS
is not to running a school for occultists -- which in practice many may
sincerely believe.

 First obtain ethics, then compasion, and then study
>occult laws, etc. and then practice practice practice. Living
>gurus are no longer necessary, IMHO.  The whole occult
>teaching of DARE and TRY seems to be ignored by today's
>theosophists. Am I wrong?

        Better ethical standard -- not the traditional commonday ones, where
anything goes so long as you don't get caught -- will go a long way to help
everyone in everyday life. Who can question that high ethical standards will
not help in our progress -- spiritual or otherwise.

        As for living Guru, I would rather term it like a friend who could
work with you and can share with you and help you, without the status of
Guru vs Chela, if one finds one, it is ok, if not, it should not bother one.

        My 2 cents.