Re: Battle - Paper vs Cyber

Jul 27, 1997 11:50 AM
by ramadoss

Dear Slusser:

Glad to see your detailed response. Indeed HCT is one of the two I had in
mind when I posted the msg. The other one is a publication from Italy which
deals with a non-theosophical topic.

On the economic front, the publishing cost is a critical issue when
publishing in print media and added to that is the cost of distribution by
mail or other means. Both costs are bound to rise. In addition, any
publication which does not have a large circulation, the overhead costs are
significant and critical and rising.

This whole issue of Paper vs Cyber publication is evolving and no one can
forsee  what future is in store. On the other hand, with rookie authors who
cannot find a publisher or cannot afford to self publish in print media,
Internet is perhaps the only choice. Like shareware, it is quite possible
that those who feel a benefit from the material may come forth to support
the author. I donot know if this is going to work in the case of Internet
published materials.

At 04:02 AM 7/27/97 -0600, dslusser wrote:
>theos-l@vnet.net wrote:
>>
>> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 14:08:27 -0500
>> From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
>> To: theos-l@vnet.net
>> Subject: Battle between paper and cyber version
>>
>> In the recent days, I have had the interesting experience of watching the
>> current trend on the question of publications in the paper version versus
>> the publication in the cyberspace.
>>
>> Two instances I am currently aware where an attempt was made to get the
>> print version put on the cyberspace. In both cases those involved in the
>> production of the paper version has either not willing to put it on the
>> Internet or have not been very responsive to the suggestion, even though in
>> real terms the potential for distribution is enormous and is likely to be
>> appreciated by large numbers especially in the former East European
>> countries where current economic situation is very tight, but they have
>> access to Internet.
>
>Hey there!  If you're referring to the HCT as one of the examples -- I
>beg to differ.  If my recollection is correct, I contributed several
>uploads from back issues which were not used/posted.   In addition, I

   I thought everything that you sent me were posted here. Is there
something that you sent to me did not get posted? If so can you re e-mail me
and I can post it. You can also post it directly if you wish to do so. The
only limitation on theos-l is that each e-mail material has a limit of 20K
so longer files have to be split into several smaller pieces each less than
20K. Also are there any material that you tried to post directly that did
not get used/posted. If so we may want to investigate what the technical
problem is there, because everything I have ever posted got distributed to
all subscribers.

>uploaded the listing of the contents of back issues 1986 to 1996 -- to
>which I received no response in the form of requests.  Correct me  if I
>am wrong.  I have my hands full getting the HCT out every month on
>schedule, but I can find time to post back issues by request.

   I understand that your hands are full. If I can be of any help in posting
any material, please let me know. I will provide all the help I can.

>Eldon Tucker has offered to help  me set up a Web Page for the HCT --
>and this I haven't had time for as yet.  I'm willing -- so where do we
>go from here?

  One of the suggestions that came up in the other magazine from Italy was
to convert the files into Adobe Acrobat PDF file which are very compact and
is widely used and both PCs and Apple Computers can access them with no
problem. We can also see how the back issues can be archived at theos-xxxx
site for retrieval. I am not a techie and we need to get the help of others
who are upto speed on these matters.

>I'd be delighted to send the HCT to my overseas subscribers via e-mail
>Yesterday I sent 13 copies of the july issue by first class Airmail to
>subscribers in Australia, England, Wales, Germany, France, Netherlands,
>Belgium, Costa Rica & Philippines --mostly at my own out of pocket
>expense.  The postage ran from $1.09 to $1.55 per copy.  This was in
>addition to about 87 copies at 2nd class for $21
>
>Any help in making it happen will be appreciated.  dslusser --ed HCT

Since overseas shipping is quite expensive, some means of electronic
distribution to overseas subscribers can perhaps help.

If anyone else has any ideas, let us hear and make HCT available to more
readers around the world.

>While the paper publishers have valid economic reasons,
>> it is interesting to watch the above instances.
>>
>> One of the questions that is going to arise is how future publishers are
>> going to handle the Internet phenomenon where there is not much of current
>> opportunities to make money like selling copies of hard copy publication.

       See my comments on the economic issue above. In addition, there is a
trial going on by a large book publisher who is going to put a couple of
books on line 3 months before the hard copy becomes available. We will have
to wait and see.

>Making money ???????  The HCT has never broken even $$ wise.  It is my
>contribution to the movement.  The $9 subscription price barely covers
>the cost of printing and postage to the individual subscriber.  Nearly
>half of the subscriptions are free-gratis.
>
>Like David Keene, I support this effort on a retirement income.

     Glad to know about your efforts and I am sure everone is very
appreciative of what you have been doing for the movement.

        MKRamadoss