Numberless Universes

Dec 05, 1996 05:47 AM
by Tom Robertson

Jerry wrote:

>When HPB was referring to the physical "universe," she was using
>the word in the same sense as was used by Kant.  That is, she
>believed that there were numberless island universes.  Today, we
>call them galaxies.

I am glad to hear this, since the alternative view implied by her ideas of
universal (taken literally) manvantaras and pralayas applies what I believe
to be a universal principle inconsistently.  The idea that everything is
part of something greater implies that there is no ultimate whole, but that,
infinitely higher and infinitely lower, the same cyclic principle applies.
It makes much more sense if "universal" manvantaras and pralayas are
regarded as applying to something definite and limited.