Re: A Serious question

Nov 02, 1996 10:54 AM
by Maxim Osinovsky

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, John Straughn wrote:

> Agreed.  However, on both sides.  Max has a good point to make, but the point
> to which I am referring is not "keep it to yourself".  Mark, I agree with Max
> that the answers you seek CAN be found in the Universal Self, however, in
> order to understand that which comes from the U. Self, you must learn to
> understand it.  In order to learn, you must ask questions.  Max, I hope that
> the former is the point you were trying to make.

Yes, everything except "you must ask questions." An ancient maxim says,
"Know thyself," rather than "ask others." You may ask others for more
information, but knowledge of the self is not information, and nobody is
going to do self-inquiry for you.

Also, I do not know what you mean by U. Self; I would avoid this term as
it looks like a tall order. IMO, the Self is similar to an onion, and has
several layers, one of them being the World Soul (relatively easy to reach),
another the Cosmic Consciousness (an ambiguos notion). All that is well
documented in W. James' The Varieties of the Religious Experience and in
other books.

> This is a discussion list.
> And most of what is discussed is centered around helping humanity.  I assume
> that Mark is a human.:)  His question seemed appropriate enough to me to be
> posted here.  I think perhaps your point was taken more offensively than it
> was meant to be.  But, then, I as well could be mistaken.
> ---
> The Triaist

Yes, it's a good idea to continue discussion on what we can do to help
those in material or spiritual need.

Max