Re: Psychism & Cayce

Sep 03, 1996 10:50 PM
by Bee Brown

Martin writes

>        So, what you're saying here is that most of us don't understand
>(the deeper significance and meaning of) our experiences of life?
>We misinterpret events? This is likely to some extent: we perceive objects,
>events, relations, etc. through a filter of conditioned thinking; conditioned
>by ages of misinformation about the human nature and all its layers of
>consciousness.

We understand ok on the level of what is referred to as the 1st abstraction
or the unconscious level. Korzybski says in "Science and Sanity" Page 23:
' As our actual lives are lived on objective, un-speakable levels and not on
verbal levels, it appears, as a problen of evaluation, that the objective
level, including of course, our un-speakable feelings, 'emotions' etc is the
most important, and that the verbal level is only auxilary, sometimes useful
but at present often harmful, because of the disregard of the semantic
relations.'
We are inclined to disregard life as lived 'in-the-whole' and just look at
the parts and then fragment our experiences and then wonder why they won't
fit back into a whole let alone the parts.

> Bee>Therefore Patanjali says that control of our desire
>nature becomes very necessary if we want a healthy mental body to pursue our
>quest and further development through the psychic realms without problems.
>
>        Agreed. The question boils down to how to control our desire nature.
>
><big snip>
>
>"Patanjali's methodology may be summarized as follows:
> 1) Disentangle the psyche from the elemental, animal and animalized human
>desire influences by the superior mental powers;
>2) Direct the forces by which the psychic-nature functions to the centers in
>which Mind contacts the personality in identity with 'the objective world',
>and thence into the Mind-level of the individualized Self or Master;
> 3) Through control and purification of the thinking-principle and the
>instrumentality of Mind, induces will to take charge of the psyche;
>4) By conscious functioning in will, free and clear from all hindrances or
>modifications by the thinking-principle, liberate the seer or Master and
>enter the real world.
> This method of development does not permit any so-called "psychic
>experiences" during the process of entering the real world. We consider it
>one of the finest and most clear-cut methods for higher attainment ever
>given, and one which reflects our perception and understanding of the
>natural order process."
>
>        Sounds good to me. I have given a similar method in my article
>'the psychological key to man', based on transformation of thought
>(emotion/desire/etc)
>patterns. Maybe I will have to clarify the notion of 'spiritual will' and
>intent a bit more, as that is a key factor in processes as Patanjali
>describes, right?
>Basically, the spiritual growth process (or evolution process) is simple in
>itself,
>but there may be many self-made or conceived (or real) obstacles on the road.
>Anyway, I have a little study to do in order to be able to compare it with
>other sources.
>You're aware, of course, that Patanjali's sutras are very short and concise.

Yes, Vitvan uses each short sutra as his heading and elaborates mightily on
them, in fact from such short sutras I have 92 pages of A4 printed on them.
Here is an interesting little bit from the elaboration of the 1st sutra;
"There is a phase in each individual's ongoing which is referred to as the
"probationary period on the path". According to Plato, it is a period of
psychic groping. It is characterized by a stirring urge to know--a questing,
seeking, serious inquiry, etc. During this period the individual seeker must
sustain conscious effort before accumulated results become a force positive
enough to sustain him. The entire 'law of integrity' of the individual is
involved here; that is, no one, no higher evolved being, no master of
wisdom, no teacher of truth can superimpose his awakened will or awakened
force upon another--not even for that other one's  own good. Because of this
'law' of free moral agency or integrity of individual being, a higher
developed one must stand aside and wait until the probationer can sustain
effort himself. It is a hard lesson to learn because propinquity, human
affection, personal regard, etc., will elicit concern, solicitude, etc. So,
notwithstanding value given to a 'law', one who can frequently carries
another until the danger signals are observed, or until the times inevitably
come when it is no longer possible to lend assistance. Often the disastrous
consequences of such a course are revealed, for the one thus sustained may
not only sink to the level which he occupied when first taken up, but he may
fall below it because his own powers, his own energies, his own faculties
may have been weakened by resting upon a superior strength. If it were
possible for a higher developed one to superimpose his awakened force or
will upon another and carry that one into realization of Self it would
invalidate the entire law of free moral agency, of self-determination, of
the sanctity and inviolability of individualization. It would not only
negate the entire process of growth and development, but it would make
automatons of many."

>They need some elaboration, I think, on the psychic obstacles that often pop up
>when one intends to practice methods such as Patanjali's. I think Vitvan has
>also written on that point.

snip

>Bee> <snip>The knowledge is there but we all seem reluctant to study it and
to apply it.

>        I'm not sure if I agree to the latter part of that statement,
>although I agree that the map of the psychic world/experience may not have been
>outlined very clear in Theosophical teachings. Yet Judge gives some helpful
>material in  ~Letters that have helped me~. If I had a scanner I would put it
>on the Web. Anyone willing to scan this book? I would gladly correct scanned
>material if sent by E-mail to me. >
>
>Martin

Bee Brown
Member Theosophy NZ, TI.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to
the wrong conclusion with confidence.