Re: Heroes and heroines

Jun 03, 1996 10:40 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 10:03 AM 6/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>The following letter from Mrs. Besant appeared in "The Theosophic
>Messenger" in April, 1904:

And what an absolutely fascinating letter it is! It could have been written
by Blavatsky herself it's so open and frank. Now, I must begin to wonder: If
it is in fact as sincere as it seems to be, then what in heaven's name
happened to the woman between 1904 and her death in 1933?
When I look at Mrs. Besant in her robes of Office, I can only wonder how it
came to pass that the woman who wrote this wonderfully wise letter could
have permitted herself to be transmogrified into a veritable "Pope of
Theosophy"?

It is simply stupefying to realize that her predictions as to what would
occur if she was to be "iconized" have come so completely true.

I certainly think a discussion of how the total change came about is worthy
of our time. What do you think Alan?

alexis