Re: Blind Men and the Elephant

Jun 02, 1996 03:38 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Doss:
>This reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant. Just like
>each blind man tried to feel one part of the elephant and tried to
>generalize what the whole elephant looks like, we have Theosophy that we
>all try to attempt to describe or define or understand.
>
>Buddha, faced a somewhat similar situation dealing with various concepts
>that he tried to discuss. He stated that since there will always be
>difference in opinion on the unseen, it is easier to discuss those things
>which are seen.

	The real difference between Buddhism and Theosophy, Doss,
is that Theosophy attempts to define reality, while Buddhism provides
techniques and leaves reality itself undefined in words.  Theosophy
is theoretical, while Buddhism is practical.  This is exactly why Carl
Jung called Theosophy "lazy thinking" -- because theosophists who
study the literature over a long period of time become convinced
(falsely) that they know everything.  The idea that one can understand
life, and what life is all about, from reading books, is indeed lazy thinking.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI