Blind Men and the Elephant

Jun 02, 1996 03:56 AM
by m.k. ramadoss

Here is some thing that we can think about.

Theosophy was not officially defined when Theosophical Society was
launched in 1875. There have been discussions on various issues relating
to the unseen world and as such there is always a difference of opinion.

This reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant. Just like
each blind man tried to feel one part of the elephant and tried to
generalize what the whole elephant looks like, we have Theosophy that we
all try to attempt to describe or define or understand.

Buddha, faced a somewhat similar situation dealing with various concepts
that he tried to discuss. He stated that since there will always be
difference in opinion on the unseen, it is easier to discuss those things
which are seen.

I think when new comers see all the discussion going on here and try to
understand what Theosophy is, the above may help them understand why
there is always differences of opinion or views etc.

	...Ramadoss