Re: Why the Drop in the number of subscribers

May 23, 1996 11:23 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 07:35 AM 5/23/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I am interested in reading and sometimes participating in the messages on the
>theos-* bulletin boards.  But the message traffic is overwhelming.  When I turn
>on my email at night, and discover 100+ messages, among which are intermixed a
>few messsages from business colleagues, etc., it is overwhelming to
separate the
>theos.* traffic from the other email.

Alexis notes: Because of this I have found it better to "check my mail"
twice a day (10:00,A.M and P.M) to keep the numbers down to manageable
proportions. But then I don't have "office hours" to cope with.

>Also, I find it tedious to reread previous messages which message writers have
>simply recopied before giving their reply.  I do not think this is
necessary and
>those of you who do this, are wasting the time of those who you expect to read
>your messages.

Alexis comments: some folks never <delete> anything and the result is
immensely long strings of messages. The other thing I find disconcerting to
say the least is to find the same message repeated 3 times. I assume that is
because it is sent to the List, roots, Buds, etc. But I wish there was some
way they could be identified as to their secondary source so we could
<delete> without reading the second two of the three. It too would save a
lot of time.

>All of this is simply too time consuming.
>
>I will be traveling again in a few weeks and will unsubscribe because I do not
>want to return and find 2000+ Email messages.
>
>I do not have a solution to this traffic problem, but believe that it is a more
>serious problem than the complaints about people arguing, etc.  I present it to
>the techies among you to see if there is some way in which theos-* messages can
>clearly be delineated as such, so that a subscriber  can easily delete them
>without deleting and/or interfering with his/her other email.
>
>Sy Ginsburg

Alexis adds: There is another possible answer to the question of "drop in
membership" and that is that it's now summer time and many people will be
going on vacations, sabbaticals, etc. and people temporarily unsubscribe to
prevent the kind of "Log Jam" that Sy referred to.