Re: Paul Brunton's Comments on the TS

May 06, 1996 11:37 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 10:49 PM 5/6/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Alexis. I agree. I first stumbled on the Noteboooks in 1991. I felt like
I'd come home. In the thousands of entries contained therein, (and I've not
read them all) I've yet to read one that did not strike a chord. During 1992
I went through all 16 Notebooks and extracted every reference I could find
to theosophical history, teachers, people, places, schools etc. The exercise
resulted in some 90 A4 typed pages. I was using a typewriter at the time so
I don't have a text file to send to any interested parties.
>Here's another entry that relates to the two above: Notebook 10 (The
Orient: Its Legacy to the West) Chapter One (Meetings of East and West)
Subdivision - Western Assimilation of Eastern Thought.
>... The western peoples will never be converted wholesale to Hinduism or
Buddhism as religions, nor will their intelligentsia take wholesale to
Vedanta or Theosophy as philosophies. These forms are too alien and too
exotic to affect the general mass. Historically, they have only succeeded in
affecting scattered individuals. The West's spiritual revival must and can
come only out of its own creative and native mind....

>and  also from volume Ten
>
>..Regarding Blavatsky's teachings, it is not essential nowadays to know all
that she taught. Nevertheless a book like her Key to Theosophy provides an
excellent preparation for the study of philosophy. But present-day students
do not need to study her writings first, as the point of view in the present
teaching is different from that taken in her published work. In her esoteric
instruction, her students were told "to reduce everything to terms of
consiousness." This, of course, is pure mentalism.
>Nice chatting with you
>Darrin
>

>Darrin:

I've got a number of Paul Brunton's works but not the Notebooks. I will look
for them and see if I can find them in print somewhere. If I don't locate
them would you be willing to xerox them and mail them to me? I'd be happy to
cover your costs. I certainly have noproblems with, and in fact agree with
both of your quotations. They represent things I've been saying and teaching
for over 20 years now. But I'm sure you must know that you're going to get
in trouble!
Nice chatting with you again. I have a house guest who arrived three weeks
ago from Syndey (He started out in Guernsey)

alexis d.