Yes, DOCTRINE

May 03, 1996 04:24 PM
by Richtay

Greg writes,

> >. . . . . . "We are not working merely that people may call themselves
> >'Theosophists', but that the DOCTRINES WE CHERISH may effect and leaven
the
> >whole mind of this century. This alone can be acccomplished by a small
> >earnest band of workers, who work for no human reward, no earthly
> >recognition, but who, supported and sustained by a belief in that
Universal
> >Brotherhood of which our Masters are a part, work steadily, faithfully, in
> >understanding and putting forth for consideration the DOCTRINES OF LIFE
AND
> >DUTY THAT HAVE COME DOWN TO US FROM IMMEMORIAL TIME . . . . . " (caps
mine)

Alexis responds:

> The problem is that when "Doctrine" becomes "Dogma" what is it then? And
> that is what I think has happened. HPB was "giving out' a theoretical model
> of reality, since her death it has been made into an unquestionable
doctrine
> which is a synonym for Dogma. Those who claim that the model presented in
> the Secret Doctrine etc. are "The Core Doctrine of Theosophy" are making an
> hypothesis into a dogma and therefore in this new model dogma and doctrine
> are inseparable and interchangeable.

Huh?

It is obvious that HPB "offered" a doctrine for anyone who wanted to study
it.  Most people don't want to.  And Theosophists don't have to study it if
they don't want to.

But I am so tired of hearing everyone flaunt their "freedom" of thought.  I
agree with what Daniel Caldwell said over a week ago, we all know we have
that perfect "freedom" so let's get over ourselves.

This *is* a Theosophical list, Theosophy offers a doctrine said to be from
"immemorial time," and there are a great many of us on the list who would
like to discuss and explore those DOCTRINES.  If those who don't like the
DOCTRINES don't want to talk about them, and would rather criticize them or
tell jokes or talk about various people's failures, fine.  Who cares?

The fact is that HPB offered us a body of teachings i.e. DOCTRINE, those
teachings are called Theosophy, and Greg here wants to study them and talk
about them.  So do I.

(See the new thread Jerry S. started on mind, matter and evolution for food
for thought).