Mind, matter and evolution

May 03, 1996 04:24 PM
by Richtay

Poor hapless Rich wrote:

> > Thus MIND is the definitive factor in the manifestation of reality.
> >
> >In my opinion, this is exactly what the SECRET DOCTRINE teaches, and all
the
> >more reason to see value in that work.

Jerry S. responded:

>  Rich, while I kind of agree with you, I am not so sure that
> HPB "discussed" quantum mechanics or quantum theory.  I think that
> she says mind *can* effect matter, but I don't recall her ever saying
> that it *does* whether we like it or not.  The idea that matter follows
> mind, and expresses it, is pure Christian Science, which HPB
> rejected.  Could you give me some quotes to back up your thesis?
> Maybe we could start a new thread?  This is an intriguing topic.

Jerry, I didn't claim HPB discussed quantum mechanics, but rather the
IMPLICATIONS of quantum mechanics, i.e. the conclusions that scientists
appear to be limping toward, are the very same ideas that are outlined in
HPB's S.D.

The new thread idea is wonderful, here goes.

HPB did in fact criticize Christian Science for its vagueness and lack of
principles, but never denied that it produced results -- sometimes, by
experimentation.  Nor did HPB deny the principle that matter follows mind.
 Rather, she enunciated it first in the Western world.  The quotes are
immense, I will give only a few here for the time being:

ON THE POWERS OF THE INDIVIDUAL MIND

vol. 1, p. 124.  "We produce CAUSES, and these awaken the corresponding
powers in the sidereal world; which powers are magnetically and irresistably
attracted to--and react upon--those who produced these causes; whether such
persons are practically the evil-doers, or simply THINKERS who brood
mischief.  Thought is matter [footnote below] we are taught by modern Science
.."

Footnote 1: "Not of course in the sense of the German Materialist Moleschott,
who assures us that "Thought is the movement of matter," a statement of
almost unequalled absurdity.  Mental states and bodily states are utterly
contrasted as such.  But that does not affect the position that every
thought, in addition to its physical accompaniment (brain-change), exhibits
an objective--though to us supersensuously objective--aspect on the astral
plane."

ON THE CREATIVE POWERS OF UNIVERSAL MIND

vol. 1, p. 110:

"From the Unknown One, the Infinite TOTALITY, the manifested ONE, or the
periodical, Manvantaric Deity, emanates; and this is the Universal Mind,
which, separated from its Fountain-Source, is the Demiurgos or the creative
Logos of the Western Kabalists ... By the action of the manifested WIsdom, or
Mahat, represented by these innumerable centres of spiritual Energy in the
Kosmos, the reflection of the Universal Mind, which is Cosmis Ideation and
the intellectual Force accompanying such ideation, becomes objectively the
Fohat of the Buddhist esoteric philosopher.  Fohat, running along the seven
principles of Akasa, acts upon manifestated substance of the One Element, as
declared above, and by differentiating it into various centres of Energy,
sets in motion the law of Cosmic Evolution, which, in obedience to the
Ideation of the Universal Mind, brings into existence all the various states
of being in the manifested Solar System.  The Solar System, brought into
existence by these agencies, consists of Seven Principles, like everything
else within these centres. Such is the teaching of the trans-Himalayan
Esotericism."

vol. 1, p. 139

"As an abstraction, we call it the ONE LIFE; as an objective and evident
Reality, we speak of a septenary scale of manifestation, which begins at the
upper run with the One Unknowable CAUSALITY, and ends as Omnipresent Mind and
Life imminent in every atom of Matter.  Thus, while science speaks of its
evolution through brute matter, blind force, and senseless motion, and
Occultists point to INTELLIGENT Law and SENTIENT LIFE, and add that Fohat is
the guiding Spirit of all this."

HPB SUMS UP HER POSITION

vol. 1, p. 280

"[Cosmic forces] are dual in their character; being composed of (a) the
irrational BRUTE ENERGY, inherent in matter, and (b) the intelligent soul or
cosmic consciousness which directs and guides that energy, and which is the
DHYAN-CHOHANIC THOUGHT REFLECTING THE IDEATION OF THE UNIVERSAL MIND.  This
results in a perpetual series of physical manifestations and MORAL EFFECTS on
Earth, during manvantaric periods, the whole being subservient to Karma ..."

"Matter is ETERNAL.  It it the UPADHI (the physical basis) for the One
infinite Universal Mind to build thereon its ideations...."

HPB ON SCIENCE AND CONSCIOUSNESS

vol. 1, p. 296

"Neither the Occultists generally, nor the Theosophists, reject, as
erroneously believed by some, the views and theories of the modern
scientists, only because these views are opposed to Theosophy.  The first
rule of our Society is to render under Ceasar what is Caesar's.  The
Theosophists, therefore, are the first to recognize the intrinsic value of
science.  But when its high priests resolve consciousness into a secretion
from the grey matter of the brain, and everything else in nature to a mode of
motion, we protest against the doctrine as being unphilosopkical,
self-contradictory, and simply absuyrd, from a SCIENTIFIC point of view, as
much and even more than from the occult aspect of esoteric knowledge."

There's plenty more, the *Key To Theosophy* is full of the statements of mind
affecting matter continuously, NECESSARILY by its very action.