Hero Worship

May 03, 1996 09:06 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960503070957.006bc630@mail.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>I'm not the only Gay person on this list
>and I take very strong exception to words like "fag" and "fruitcake"!

In UK English (just FYI) "fag" is a cigarette, and "fruitcake" is
someone who is slightly crazy.  And a rubber is something you erase
pencil marks with.  The English visiting the US have had some really
unhappy experiences with this one!

Alan to friend: "I keep making mistakes writing to Alexis in pencil!"

Friend: "I'll get you a rubber."

Burble burble burble ...

Alan :-)
---------