Re: Wilber and Hero Worship

May 03, 1996 00:09 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 12:15 AM 5/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>While surfing the www, I came across Ken Wilber's endorsement of his
>teacher/guru Adi Dama (or something)  who I think was once called Bubba Free
>John (???).  He give an endorsement of this guy as a guru worthy of bakti-yoga.
>As far as I could see, the way to enlightenment is the sacrifice of the ego and
>the linking to Unified Primal Mind by adoration of this man.  I hope I am not
>getting this right.
>
>Does anyone know about this guru?  I have changed a lot of my ideas
recently and
>fear I could become open to some of this cult stuff.    I really admire
Wilber's
>writings (some don't on theos-l, I know), but I am concerned that Wilber thinks
>that World Service, World Soul and World Enlightenment can come through this
>recent  human incarnation of God(?).  And that we will enter the stream of
>evolution and progress quicker to the state of Godhood (located somewhere near
>Montana one can only asssume) if we link up with Adi Bubba and all those that
>love and adore this guy --that our only hope is Bubba Consciousness?!  He looks
>like a fat Anglo fruitcake too me, but maybe Buddha looked like a fat Eastern
>ninny on the physical plane, but  appeared as Beauty itself to the open eye of
>buddhi to those that can see the human aura at its highest levels.  It could be
>true.
>
>Please tell me I have got this all wrong.
>
>Namaste
>Keith Price
>

>Kieth:
There is absolutely nothing positive I can tell you about Bubba Free John
(aka Adi Dama). He is a phenomenon of the early Seventies in San
Francisco-Berkeley. For many years I was associated with "The Meeting of The
Ways" an association of groups in the Guru Tradition, and I know for sure
that the Bubba Free Johnites weren't welcome in it. There's a lot of real
junk books he wrote all telling in great detail how incredibly wonderful he
is. Now I do want to say this, Franklin (that's his real name) is fat, he's
anglo, and he is a gay man, but the word "Fruitcake" is no more acceptable
than the word "Nigger! If you're going to sign your messages with "Namaste"
you'd best mean it for everybody. I'm not the only Gay person on this list
and I take very strong exception to words like "fag" and "fruitcake"! I
think you'd best apologize if it was a thoughtless misstatement. But if it
wasn't and you ARE a homophobe then forget about being a Buddhist because
being an anything phobe is hardly what Buddha taught!

alexis d.