Re: Origin of Sense of Self

Oct 11, 1995 05:38 AM
by Coherence

>In theosophical terms, our atma-buddhi
>sees itself as separate and distinct from others and from the
>world around it.

The KEY TO THEOSOPHY, p.33, indicates that the feeling "I am I" refers to the
Ego.
On p. 121 of the KEY, in answer to the question, "But what is it that
reincarnates . . .?" HPB answers, "The Spiritual thinking Ego, the permanent
principle in man, or that which is the seat of MANAS. It is not Atma, or
even Atma-Buddhi, regarded as the dual MONAD, which is the indiviual, or
divine man, but Manas; for Atman is the Universal ALL, and becomes the
Higher-Self of man only in conjunction with BUDDHI, its vehicle. . . . For
it is the Buddhi-Manas which is called the Causal body, . . . and which is
Consciousness. . .

KEY, p. 176, The Spiritual divine Ego, is the Spiritual soul or Buddhi, in
close union with Manas, the mind-principle, withouth which IT IS NO EGO AT
ALL, BUT ONLY THE ATMIC VEHICLE. (Caps mine)

>From the above, it would seem that it is Manas that provides the sense of I
am I, the sense of self. Elsewhere in the KEY, HPB tells us that the Monad
(Atma/Buddhi) is passive, which would indicate that it cannot/does not think
or "see itself", therefore cannot perceive itself at all, even though an
individuality. It is Manas which allows or provides this perception. The
Monad is the power to perceive while Manas is the perceiver.

Could you explain your position a bit more, because I cannot reconcile your
statements with what HPB says?

Thank you