Re: abortion

Sep 20, 1995 04:19 AM
by Richtay

Brenda wrote:

> Murder is an awfully strong word to use in such exceptional circumstances.
> Do you believe your own government upholds "murder"? You have so little
> trust in the judicial and lawmaking bodies. You don't mention even a hint
of
> "Leave the decision to those who are more learned in this area."
Surely, Brenda, you are NOT saying that I should not have an opinion, because
older and wiser people know more than I do, and I should let them think for
me?

As for those "who are more learned," you neglected to mentio that I also
quoted HPB's opinion on abortion, and she seemed dead set against it in
general, called it an attempt at "double suicide," because often the mother
will die too, or have her life dramatically shortened.

> I really wish there was this much concern for animals and this much fight
> directed towards living a vegetarian life. Not only the animals would
> benefit here, but the people who refrain from accumulating this karma.
There is, at least in Theosophical circles I am aware of. Most Theosophists
I know are vegetarians, like myself, and we belong to many, many
organizations to help animals, end laboratory testing, and end the practise
of injecting farm animals with chemicals and hormones.

If I remember correctly, HPB was also very concerned for animals' welfare,
and the MahaChohan himself mentioned approvingly Anna Kingsford's efforts to
work for animals' welfare in England last century.

Life is life, it is all sacred.

Rich