Approaching Masters with a Difference

Aug 24, 1995 06:15 AM
by Arthur Paul Patterson

At 7:09 PM 8/24/95, K. Paul Johnson wrote:
>In two weeks I'll be participating in the Mid-Atlantic
>Theosophical Gathering, the topic being "The Masters as We See
>Them." There will be small group discussions before I speak
>and a presentation by Ed Abdill after. My plan is to devote
>almost the entire period to question/answer, with a few
>questions provided in advance.

This sounds like a great conversation starter. The reason I like it is
because it offers a principle of critique to those who think that they
have the "correct" interpretation of the masters or of spiritual reality. I
think it allows us to stand above what we believe and ask the more
pertinent question of how we believe - the way you believe is more
important in my estimate than in the content.

>1. Intuition perceives the Masters as elements in the pattern
>of life in the universe.

True but intuition is about "possibilities" intuitions of things not
entirely apparent. If this is so then the intuitive might approach the
Masters as metaphors or mythogem.
Could this be the approach of the Jungian Theosophist?

>2. Thinking analyzes the Masters as HPB's information sources,
>and as historical persons about whom evidence exists.

I think that the sequential thinker would take the data concerning the
masters form a hypothesis and then attempt to verify it through testing for
consistency.

Undoubtedly the historians would be inclined to this perspective.

>3. Feeling regards the Masters as a focus of subjective value,
>positive or negative.

Those who are concerned with human values and caring would consider the
Masters as emblematic of the relational accompaniment. We are not alone, we
are guided by Wisdom figures and we can establish a relationship to them.

Those interested in mentoring or spiritual guiding might be oriented this way.

>4. Sensation perceives the Masters as producers of paranormal
>phenomena.

It depends whether the senser is introverted or extroverted. The introvert
would strive to establish as physical sense of inward peace that is derived
from contemplation of the image of the master whereas the extravert would
go in for the more spiritualistic phenomenon associated with spiritual
power in the world.

The contemplatives or even mystics may be oriented toward this receptive
approach.

>The gist will be that The Masters Revealed is overwhelmingly
>focused on #2, but is inspired by #1 and is not intended to be
>hostile to #3 and #4, although these are not its priorities.

I find your analysis of your work to be completely the way I would see it
too. I however would be far more inclined toward #1 as I stated above. What
are the possibilites for the meaning of the Masters as mythologems? In my
estimate they could be real people but more than that they are
transcendently meaningful.

Art Patterson