Re: Laws of nature

Mar 30, 1995 11:05 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

To Jerry S.

> Alan: < ...what is the _evidence_ for laws of nature being benign
> in intent, aiming at the utopian outcome posited by such a view?>
>
> This is a good question.  I kind of see laws of nature, or
> universal laws if you will, as being amoral.  I especially like
> "Love is the Law" because it reflects exactly where I want to be.

This reads as though you are making natural law in your own
image, sort of thing ... ie, I want this to be a law of nature
'cos I like it?

> Thus this law reflects my own inner universe as I am trying to
> make it and maintain it.

Is the inner universe any less _maya_ than the outer?  Is there
an "objective" universe?

> But love, you see, is undefined in the
> law itself, and can mean a whole raft of things.  Sometimes love
> means help me, and other times it means leave me alone.  Perhaps
> its just a feeling we set up in our heart to help guide our
> behavior and then we hope that others will see it and emulate us
> in some fashion?  But I doubt that my utopian outcome matches your
> utopian outcome.  My world, inner and outer, is mine, and I make
> it what I will.  You make yours what you will.  Perhaps the only
> truly universal law is Do What Thou Wilt?

Sorry to say this, but this sounds like "I want, I want, I want."
I can't see this as love at all!  I don't have a "utopian
outcome" scenario, as I have [so far] found no evidence to
justify having one.  "Do what thou wilt" a la Crowley or anyone
else sounds fine but says little, as it does not take into
account any consequences.  I guess you can do what the hell you
like as long as you are preapred to pay the price - another way
of defining karma perhaps, or as I quoted in a previous posting,
"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

In my view of things, love is something we _have_ and can _give_.
It is never something we can demand, or even request.  Hope for
maybe.  To quote the bard, "Love is not love which alters when it
alteration finds."

Glad you enjoyed my quiet room :-)

Alan.