Re: Alice Bailey, etc.

Mar 29, 1995 06:55 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Mark Barville:

> Here are some of the tidbits she gave me: *Lucis Publishing used
> to be Lucifer Publishing because it's origins were in Satan
> worship.

Baloney.  Neither of these statements is true.

> *Alice Bailey, and her writings, came out of theosophy.

True

> *The founders of theosophy practiced pedophilia.

False.  Allegations were made against a second-generation TS
figure, not the founders

> *Theosophy is concerned with "racial cleansing", that the "5th
> race" is the purified white race.

Complete balderdash, except that the 5th race is identified
with the Indo-European migrations, i.e. "Aryan," a word not
much favored anymore.

> (and to what extent), what sources I can go to for a more
> complete understanding of Alice Bailey, her books, Lucis
> Publishing, and what Theosophy has to do with it all (if
> anything).  I really feel a need for

Bruce Campbell's Ancient Wisdom Revived surveys all
Theosophical-derived movements.  The author belonged to a
Bailey-related group called Nature of the Soul.

> honest facts in this regard (what is known, acknowledged,
> verified history).  Are there any writings in Theosophy that make
> any kind of distinctions among the races of mankind, much less
> promote racism?

The Secret Doctrine outlines a complex evolutionary scheme
involving "root-races" and "subraces" but these are not at all
identical to what we know as races today.
  What is

> the truth about these things? Is this known propoganda put out by
> some fundamentalist religious group or something (based on
> misinformation or misguided understandings)?

Probably.  Sounds like Cumbey's Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow
(1983?).  But I've seen L. Larouche stuff that makes comparably
wild accusations, too.

> I would deeply appreciate a response (please only reply to the
> whole list if it will definitely benefit everyone), even if it is
> just to list a couple of books or dependable resources!

Good luck in your investigation.