Criticizing Critics

Mar 22, 1995 09:33 AM
by Nancy Coker

        3/22

        Thank you Art, for unveiling the ANALYZING process and
        pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes.  Our
        ability to think critically is helpful as a check and
        balance to our other abilities, unchecked and left to its
        own devices it might fly off into the most absurd
        fanaticism.  Doesn't the Eye Doctrine need the Heart
        Doctrine?

        It may be that in order to be God-like one must develop
        critical thinking, but that is not to make a God of the
        process of analysis.

        I recently came across this John Ruskin quote in an old
        issue of SUNRISE magazine, and had to gulp twice in
        recognition and admission I repeat it here, not in any
        way finger pointing:

        There are three weighty matters of law -- justice, mercy
        and truth: and of these the Teacher puts truth last,
        because that cannot be known but by a course of acts of
        justice and love.  But men put, in all their efforts
        truth first, because they mean by it their own opinions;
        and thus, while the world has many people who would
        suffer martyrdom in the cause of what they call truth, it
        has few who will suffer even a little inconvenience in
        that of justice and mercy.

        Cheers
        Nancy