Re: Kabbalah

Mar 12, 1995 03:35 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <950312223246_76400.1474_FHA47-1@CompuServe.COM>
theos-l@vnet.net writes:

In reponse to Jerry S.

> Alan, I just read your Kabbalah, Part I, and overall I think
> its quite good.  I would like to start the ball rolling on a
> discussion of Kabbalah (John said to just start right in) in
> two related areas, the Klippoth and the Abyss.
>
> 1. Klippoth.
>
> I have one question about your equation of Assiah = Klippoth
> where you say "The last of the four Worlds is called Assiah,
> the material world, also called Klippoth, or shells."  Do
> you have a source for this?  The reason  ask is that the
> O.T.O. and G.D. both describe Klippoth in a different and
> more sinister vein.  The following quote is an example:
>
>      "Qliphoth (Heb.): The plural form of '
>      qlipha,' meaning 'an harlot' or 'strange
>      woman'; terms which signify 'otherness.'
>      The shadowy world of shells or reflections.
>      Each 'sephira' of the Tree of Life has its
>      corresponding 'qlipha.' which is the
>      reflection of the energy which it represents,
>      and these averse power-zones - or 'qlipoth' -
>      form the Tree of Death."  (Kenneth Grant,
>      NIGHTSIDE OF EDEN, in Glossary, pp 275-276.
>      I have put Grant's italics in single quotes
>      to keep this in ASCII)
>
> Grant pictures the Qlippoth or Klippoth as being beneath the
> physical plane, rather like the Avichi (the so-called "8th
> Sphere") of theosophy.  Is this one of the areas of
> difference that you mentioned you had with magic schools?  I
> bring this up because Grant has built up an elaborate thesis
> on the foundation of the Klippoth being sub-physical - i.e.,
> his Tunnels of Set.  According to Grant, the doorway into
> the Klippoth lies in Daath.  I have talked with people who
> tell me that they have actually visited these tunnels.

It is a crucial difference.  The Hebrew definition of `Klipha' is
simply `shell.' That's it.  `Harlot' is `znh' [zain nun heh] or
in the biblical sense of a temple harlot, `KDShH' - a word
related to the idea of `holy.' A shell is by definition a
container, such as the physical body [of anything].  I guess you
could call a tunnel a "shell" but it is stretching the meaning.

Kenneth Grant wrote very much in support of the Crowley Magickal
[sic] approach, which is a long way from mine [or the 'Hasidim.
I use 'H to represent the letter "chet," to attempt to prevent
people pronouncing it like the "ch" in "cheese." It is more like
the German "ch" in "Ach!"]

> 2. Daath.
>
> You write, "...the link which arises between the Supernal
> Sephiroth on the Tree of Life and those below them.  This
> link is called Daath, Knowledge, sometimes considered for
> convenience as another, "invisible" Sephira..."
> I agree with you that Daath is not a Sephera per se.  In
> fact, it has no connecting path on the Tree. However, it
> does separate, so to speak, the upper three Sephiroth from
> the lower seven, in that it is always said to be located in
> the Abyss, and some would go so far as to equate Daath with
> the Abyss itself.

The reason for this is not explained until you get to my Part
Three . . . note the words "for convenience" in your quote.

> You write that Daath is "the point of knowledge via which
> hidden teachings are received" and I agree with you.  But
> are you saying that it does *not* exist as a special region
> of "inner space?"

One could argue that that is _exactly_ what it is, though I would
call it a "bridge" in inner space, if the term inner space is
going to be used.

  The whole idea of Daath only makes sense
> to me as a kind of Ring-Pass-Not for the human mind, and as
> you say, as a link between the formless spiritual planes and
> the formed material planes.  But I have no problem seeing it
> as a subtle region which can actually be visited, and one
> that must sooner or later be "crossed" or spanned.

See above.  When you get there it is somewhere else.

  In fact,
> this idea is clearly spelled out in Enochian Magic, where
> the Abyss is the 10th Aethyr, ZAX, an actual subtle region
> that can be (and has been) visited, has denizens, and so on.

Oh.

> The idea of the Abyss containing "tunnels" to lower cosmic
> planes seems a possibility, although your text suggests that
> it is only associated with upward movement.  Have you ever
> come across anything that repudiates or substantiates
> Grant's hypothesis?

Gulp. Experience.

> I am looking forward to Part 2.

This deals with the Tarot and the world of Yetzirah in
particular.  I am not ready to upload this for a while yet.  Of
course, if you want to buy the complete hard copy version .  .  .
:-)

The root of the word "Assiah" BTW, is associated with the idea of
`manufacture' - as in an artifact, perhaps.  The Kabbalah which
originates in Israelite `Creation' theory thus regards the lowest
world as the absolute bottom - there is nothing beneath it,
certainly not any `Klippoth' as these are the containers of the
`artifacts.' In this sense our own bodies are artifacts, and
containers of the human soul, self, spirit - whatever.

This area of discussion could produce some longish replies - such
as this is compared to most [and I have barely touched the
surface of the questions you raise].  This is why I proposed a
while back that e-mail directly to me might be a better way of
going about Kabbalah which is based upon my work and teaching(s).
I have no interest in debating various alternative systems using
the same or similar language [eg., Qabalah].  I did all of that
years ago, and leave it to the student to do the same on his or
her own behalf, if debate is wanted.  What I offer is Kabbalah
_as I have received it_.  Don't believe a word I tell you.  Check
it out.

Alan