Some Comments

Mar 11, 1995 03:49 PM
by Jerry Schueler

The following are some of my comments to
recent postings:

Daniel< As far as the various comments that have been
made about so-called "anti-Christian" comments in the
Mahatma Letters and also in HPB's writings ... the
assumption seems to be made that it is somehow "wrong"
and "bad" that HPB and the Masters made such
criticisms!  Maybe the criticisms are valid!>

Indeed, mayhaps they are.

Liesel.  First of all, thanks for the kind words.
< I was wondering whether the conflict between creation
& destruction exists in the life of slower moving
particles as well, not only virtual particles.>

I believe that this conflict exists on *all* levels.
It is a duality that seems to be an inherent part of
the fabric of this world.  Chaos and order are battling
it out in our bodies and in our minds every hour of
every day.  However, it is not as obvious in the larger
scales - the subatomic scale has things happening so
fast relative to us human observers, that it all seems
like a "foam" or chaotic soup.

< Also, I wanted to let you know that Harry Van Gelder
talks about man's 7 force fields, instead of the 7
bodies of man. Does that make any sense to you?>

Actually, I would prefer to talk about man's 7 energy
fields.  Matter and energy are two sides of the same
coin.  Force is like active energy, and is usually
associated with motion (F=ma and so on).  I'm sorry,
but I am unfamiliar with Harry Van Gelder.  Perhaps he
is referring to the principles rather than the bodies?
Most writers seem to equate these two, but Eldon wants
to keep them separate and distinct.  But I would agree
that the aura is very close to a living energy field.

< I've also wondered whether vibes aren't the basic
building blocks of the universe. As in "In the
beginning was the Word". or do you think we'll never
get around to finding the basic building blocks?>

I suspect that someday they will split the quark.

The problem with vibrations is that there must be
something to vibrate as well as a medium through which
they can travel to us.  But essentially I agree with
you.  The Gnostics taught that the 7 vowels created the
basic materials out of which the universe is formed.
The consonants, depending on how they were placed between
 the vowels, gave creation its depth and
variety.  This idea is also found in mantra yoga.  I
have always recommended THE GARLAND OF LETTERS by Sir
John Woodroffe (alias Arthur Avalon) as the best study
you can find on the mantra-shastra, the tantric
teaching of the creative power of words (in this case,
Sanskrit letters).  This idea is very ancient.  In my
EGYPTIAN MAGICK, Isis, the goddess "who is adept with
words" says "The life of a person is invested in his
name."  This idea of the creative power of words, later
became the rationale for magic words and "words of
power" taught during the middle ages.  But, according
to mantra-shastra, it is not the word itself, but its
seed (bija) or vibration that has the real power.

< Also, when you talk about consciousness influencing
an energy field, did you stop at yoga & biofeedback on
purpose? Or are you not aware that such phenomena as
precipitating a letter and travelling astrally are also
acts of a trained will>

Yes, I did stop on purpose.  Precipitating a letter
employs the same theory, but requires a *lot* more
energy or concentrated consciousness.  I believe that I
can influence my own body, for example.  But I have yet
to precipitate a letter.  Traveling astrally also
involves conscious influence over matter, but in this
case astral matter rather than physical.  The aura or
Body of Light will automatically go wherever the
thought directs it, so not too much concentration is
required.  Yoga and biofeedback are relatively safe and
easy techniques to employ this theory, and stop short
of magick, so I stopped with them.  But you are
certainly right.

Paul Johnson.  Thanks for the historical info.

< HPB later admitted that it was only rarely that
the letters were dictated verbatim to her.  Yet it is
clear that in many cases she wrote them while in a
state of consciousness that connected her to the
Master(s).>

She was a tulku, as defined by Barborka in H.P.
BLAVATSKY, TIBET AND TULKU.  G de P also describes this
process, which is pure occultism and can be found
outside of theosophy per se, e.g., in Tibetan Buddhism.
 This is different from the Adept, where the incoming
entity is his or her own higher self.  It is almost
like a magical invocation, except that invocations
usually call in a deity of some kind, while the tulku
calls in an Adept or Saint, embodied or disembodied.
Many people see the tulku as the reincarnation of a
saintly historical person, such as the Dali Lama, for
example.  ADN notes that a person can have a strong
desire to accomplish something, and that this desire
itself, if not satisfied at the death of the person,
can embody itself in a new baby or in the body of
another living person.  She points out that, "Tulku
literally means an "illusory body" created by magic.
There is thus no permanent ego which transmigrates."
(SECRET ORAL TEACHINGS, p 105).  The tulku is a person
whose ego is possessed by another person or idea or
"complex" in the Jungian sense.  The Tibetans use the
term in a permanent sense, in that once a person is a
tulku they are such for the rest of their lives.  HPB's
ability suggests that she was a temporary tulku,
allowing the incoming ego of her Master to take over
her body temporarily, while her own ego relaxed for the
time with more or less complete memory of the incident
(which is the chief differentiating feature of tulku vs
possession or mediumship where memory is lost).  I
personally believe that tulku is a valid phenomenon
which we in the West still know little about.

< To the extent that anti-Christian sentiments in the
letters are accurate reflections of the Masters' views
(which I believe they are) rather than just HPB's own
attitude ...>

I agree with your line of argument here.

< Finally, I would suggest that the later you go in
HPB's writing career, the less you find disrespectful
attitudes toward any religion, and the more you find an
effort to harmonize them all.>

Agreed.  Perhaps she mellowed with age? :.)
Thanks Paul.

                    Jerry S.