Re: Some Comments

Mar 11, 1995 05:38 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <950311234948_76400.1474_FHA54-1@CompuServe.COM>
theos-l@vnet.net writes:

To Jerry S.

> < HPB later admitted that it was only rarely that
> the letters were dictated verbatim to her.  Yet it is
> clear that in many cases she wrote them while in a
> state of consciousness that connected her to the
> Master(s).>
>
> She was a tulku, as defined by Barborka in H.P.
> BLAVATSKY, TIBET AND TULKU.  G de P also describes this
> process, which is pure occultism and can be found
> outside of theosophy per se, e.g., in Tibetan Buddhism.

> There is thus no permanent ego which transmigrates."
> (SECRET ORAL TEACHINGS, p 105).  The tulku is a person
> whose ego is possessed by another person or idea or
> "complex" in the Jungian sense.  The Tibetans use the
> term in a permanent sense, in that once a person is a
> tulku they are such for the rest of their lives.  HPB's
> ability suggests that she was a temporary tulku,
> allowing the incoming ego of her Master to take over
> her body temporarily, while her own ego relaxed for the
> time with more or less complete memory of the incident
> (which is the chief differentiating feature of tulku vs
> possession or mediumship where memory is lost).  I
> personally believe that tulku is a valid phenomenon
> which we in the West still know little about.

IMH experience, the ego is not possessed, but is _linked_ to the
"other" very much in the Jungian sense, but also in the "occult"
sense of communication.  The retention of the memory of the event
by the person concerned is the essential ingredient.  I have
called this "conscious mediumship" after having come across it as
an empirical discovery (which I have been glad to make use of).
It seems that the _link_ can be fragile at times, and is subject
to the interpretive mechanism of the "receiver," which could well
account for some seeming discrepancies in HPB's [possibly]
similar experience with the "Masters." I prefer to call them
"Higher Intelligences." It is my experience that they are usually
deceased human beings who have moved on to "higher" states of
being.  They may also however belong to the "deva" or "angelic"
evolutionary process - it's hard to tell, and in practice not too
important.  In the Kabbalist tradition I guess the tulka would be
equivalent to the maggid.

This is an experience which requires hard work and training to
achieve.  Whether it can be taught I am not sure, but if so, it
would have to be on a one-to-one basis.  Not something to fool
around with.

AB