A theosophical survey (was: Theosophy exploring)

Dec 29, 1994 09:52 AM
by bill

Hi all,

        Arthur Paul Patterson writes:

> ...  mean to pry, but I would like to hear something about some
> of the members.  A newcomer comes on, spends a great deal of time
> introducing themselves, but they don't have a clue as to who is
> on the other side.  If any one wants to briefly answer some of a
> novice's inquirys, with absolutely no pressure to do so, could
> you tell me:

I'll admit that it seems a little "weird" in this forum -- as
scholarly and spiritually oriented as many of the posts feel (all
flames aside :-) ).  But this is a common practice on a couple of
the other mailing lists I belong to.  Someone posts a survey with
several questions designed to help others learn more about the
posters on the list and most of the regular posters reply to help
everyone know them a little better.  It usually allows for an
easy "delurking" tool for some of the lurking newbies too.

I always enjoy participating in these surveys and I hope no- body
takes offense -- I really think that they provide a useful
service (but only about twice a year ;-) ).  So here are my

> Name or Net Handle:

        bill
        William A. Parrette.

> 1. What brought you to Theosophy in the first place?

        From my introductory post back in August of this year:

"My introduction to theosophy was kinda' through the back door.
After a minor out-of-body experience some six years ago, I start-
ed researching this unusual phenomena by looking for books in
every book store I entered into -- I am sort of a book-a-holic! I
still remember the visit pretty clearly -- a small out-of-the way
book store in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN.  I was looking on,
what at the time was still called, the occult bookshelf.  There,
almost invisible, wedged between several other, unrelated, larger
books was this plain-looking, small book with a rather non-
descript dark green, paper, dust-jacket entitled _The_Bodies_-
of_Man_ by Annie Besant.  I had no idea if it was related to my
OOBE research or not, but it somehow seemed related.  So, on a
whim, I bought it, took it back to my hotel room, and read it.

"Inside the book was a small reply-card which I filled in and
sent off to Wheaton.  The literature that came back fascinated
me.  I didn't understand much of what was in the book, and I
didn't understand much of what was said in the literature, but
somehow it *felt right*.  Since I have been studying OOBE's I
have been trying to pay a lot of attention to my intuition and my
intuition told me here to join the TS.  So, I did."

> 2. What variety of Theosophy do you tend to affliate with?

Well, to be quite honest, until recently I didn't know that there
were different "varieties" of theosophy.  Of course, I had heard
of the different "sections" and had assumed that things like the
"Pasadena group," the "Point Loma group," and others that I had
heard of were just different "sections." Now I'm made to
understand (mostly through reading this list) that there is a
Blavatsky-style of theosophy and a Besant/Leadbetter-style of
theosophy.

If I had to "pin it down," I guess that I resonate more with the
Blavatsky-style as a member of the American "section" through
Wheaton.  As soon as my employment situation stabilizes, I am go-
ing to attempt to try to revitalize the Cincinnati study-center
which will probably "center" around this "variety" of theosophy
too.

> 3. What geographic area do you hail from?

I was born in Los Angeles, CA.  in 1953; raised through the
pre-teen years in West Covina, CA (I'm told near theosophical in-
terests in Covina?); moved to Oxford, OH in 1965 where I attended
junior-high school, high school and Miami University studying en-
gineering technology and systems analysis; currently living near
Cincinnati, OH (once a theosophical hotbed as the origin of the
American "section") working as a Unix-oriented trainer and
writer.

> 4. What are your areas of interests?

The bodies of man and the different "planes" they exist on.
Trying to remember activities in these other planes or "reality
systems" so as to turn current belief systems into "knowing sys-
tems." Passing any new knowledge gained (somewhat altruistical-
ly) onto others who are "searching."

> 5.  What do you feel is the most helpful about participating in
> the Theos -l Listserv?

For me, the absolutely most helpful and wonderful thing about
participating in this forum is the access it gives me to others.
There are many others on this list who have reached a personal
level of understanding on theosophical topics that, to this day,
still confuse me.

The second best thing about this list is the discussion.  I don't
like "heated" debates but some of the back-and-forth dis-
cussions that I have seen on a variety of topics here is truly
educational.  And, as I have said before, education is one of the
key needs in theosophy.

> If the questions seem boorish or invasive in anyway please do not
> answer them, I do respect your autonomy- this is only for those
> who genuinely want to answer.

I always enjoy a good survey -- rarely boorish, seldom in-
vasive.  I hope some of the more regular posters will respond so
that we can all learn a little more about each other.  I think
these things are fun.

I know that I haven't been contributing regularly and for that I
apologize.  There were several open issues with a couple of
regulars here that I had to put on an indefinite hold while I
resolve some employment issues -- I'm looking for a new job in
computer training/publishing that won't require me to move to a
new physical location.  It's all I can do to keep up with the
mail for four mailing lists and a monthly digest while I am job
hunting.

Anyways ...  I hope a few others will contribute to the sur- vey.
And, as always, may you all grok in fullness ...

Bill--
    ...who has heard death defined as "to stop sinning suddenly."