Re: What is Theosophy (was: Maureen to Bart)

Dec 06, 1999 05:31 AM
by Maureen T Fitzgerald

> When you wrote that Theosophy
> is an attempt to discover the basic principles behind science, religion, and
> philosophy, is that a tie-in to the principle of Karma?

     Other way around.

Hi Bart,

I have bookmarked the earthlink site you recommended.

Are you saying that Karma is ONE OF the basic principles behind science,
religion and philosphy?

Also, over the weekend I was listening to an interview of a science writer (Rick
Weiss) for The Washington Post.  One of the things he discussed was gene
therapy, and the work scientists are doing now on altering chromosomes.
Although he stressed that the purpose for this was to eliminate disease, as well
as discovering and eliminating genes that cause aging, he did go so far as to
say there also existed the potential to use this research to alter behavior.  In
other words, altering
chromosomes to make one's behavior more socially acceptable.  He also said that
researchers were very much interested in focusing their studies on fetuses  less
than 14 days old.  How does one balance scientific "progress" with individual
personal belief (and destiny?)

Maureen