Re: Why the membership has become so miniscule

May 06, 1999 03:55 AM
by hesse600

On Sat, 01 May 1999 08:02:30 -0500 M K Ramadoss
<ramadoss@eden.com> wrote:

> A visit to any bookstore shows that K's books out number theosophy books
> by 10-20 to 1, which seem to indicate the general interest in his
> teachings. Also I recently found out that the annual operating budget and
> net assets of the Krishnamurti Foundation in America is far larger
> compared to TSA. Further more, KFA's annual fund raising is about 3 times
> that of TSA.
It is obvious that Krishnamurti is more successful than the
T.S. though in Dutch bookstores the amount of books  sold
about Krishnamurti are as nothing compared to the amount of
books sold about antroposofie (Steiner). Does that mean
that Krishnamurti did not do his job? I do not think these
things can be measured in numbers.

> May be it is time to brain storm and see what can be done here and now
> before the TS organizations become extinct or put on life support.

In the Netherlands membership is actually climbing for its
second year now.
I feel that only a truly democratic spirit can save the
T.S., because the complains on for instance the TI-l-list
are mostly of that order. THere are so many beautiful and
useful books being published on all the religions in the
world, that it seems a shame not to be studying them. I
feel the T.S. is not working enough in that quarter. Also
we need to step away from leaders deciding everything.
Spiritual work means that we search together, but not with
differences of authority. It seems the T.S. is slow in
practicing that, even though Krishnamurti has made us
preach it.
As far as my own country goes: I have no complaints even in
that quarter. Is that democratic spirit perhaps the reason
memberships go up again?

It is good to discuss this, but I do think that success
cannot be measured by numbers alone. The Buddha was content
to do years of traveling and talking and saying: if there
was one person that understood, I did not work in vain. The
Mahatma's said: as long as there are three persons in the
TS who deserve our blessing, the TS is not in vain. (well,
they said the TS would then still be blessed by their
attention, but I refrased it a bit).

So, although I think it is wise to be critical of the TS
and strive to make it better, the cup is still halffull, as
far as I am concerned.

Katinka
NHL Leeuwarden
hesse600@tem.nhl.nl