Re: Why the decline in interest in TS/Theosophy

May 06, 1999 03:41 AM
by hesse600

> WHY I'M NOT INTERESTED by Perry Spiller

> At the risk of being overly forthright, I generally found
> Theosophy -- and theosophists -- too theosophically-minded to be
> of any earthly value. Well, more-or-less so. And mostly so.
> However, I did learn a lot from them before moving on.

Well, that is good, isn't it. To be sad of him moving on is
making the cup half-empty. I am glad he learned something.
I think that for many people that is exactly what the T.S.
is for: it shows a road. That does not mean that people
have to follow it by staying (active) members.

> My personal spiritual development finds little that's edifying in
> abstract and sometimes abstruse concepts. I have an urgent need
> for wisdom that deals with (and helps me deal with) the
> here-and-now.
My personal development does find something in that.
To each his own. We cannot stop talking about those
subjects only because there are people who want to talk
about something else. Nor do the T.S.-es have to be for
everyone who is searching for truth. Let us just do our
jobs and as long as there are the funds for publishing
books and magazines and lodges with active interest, let us
not worry to much!
On the other hand practical wisdom is something that people
talk about in the T.S.. As far as action goes: that is up
to the individual member, in my oppinion. We do not need an
organisation for that. Or if we do, (Amnesty is a good
example of a usefull organisation in this field and there
are numerous others) the T.S. is not it.
====================
 M.K.R.:
> I think the above comment is very telling. While much of the theoretical
> material is of great value and important, for the common man and woman,
> what they are looking forward is action. Not some theory.

> It may be time to brain storm and find out what is missing and why the
> fire and energy that we saw in the early days of TS is lacking today.

Perhaps the fire you admire about the early days of the TS
was not so much in the TS as a whole but in HPB. She
complained very of members being only interested in talking
about ethics, while not ever doing anything. So even in
those days the TS was only as firy as the people in it. Of
course HPB had fire enough.
Expecting the TS (any TS) to suply the fire is probably
unrealistic. There will be fire in our lives when we TRY
for ourselves to apply the practical wisdom she supplied
buried in theory. But in fact the TS does offer even to the
not so intellectual student plenty of advice on the
pitfalls in the first stages of the path. This is probably
part of what Perry Spiller has learned. That is not so bad.

I do think we could be doing more to help extract the
jewels of ethical advice from the jewels of abstract
thought. And I am not even mentioning the volumes of
unorganised matter on almost any subject thinkable that we
call the Collected Writings.

Katinka
NHL Leeuwarden
hesse600@tem.nhl.nl