Re: brotherhood and Kosovo

May 01, 1999 08:30 PM
by Cybercmh

In a message dated 4/11/99 11:59:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
theos-l@list.vnet.net writes:

<<  A few moments later [HPB] observed:
 .."ALTRUISM"...is the keynote of Theosophy and the cure for all
 ills;  this it is which the real Founders of the Theosophical
 Society promote as its first object--UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD." >>

So to the person who said that helping the Kosovar refugees may be
contributing to the perpetuation of negative energy, I would say:  should you
not help your own brother or sister if he or she cries out in distress?  If
not, what is the meaning of universal brotherhood?  Can I feed a starving
baby with universal brotherhood, or heal someone's wounds?  If not, if it's a
rarefied intellectual concept only, or a pretext to make us feel spiritually
superior while not having to lift a finger for our fellow creatures in agony,
then I don't want any part of it.  But I think that would be a sorry
misinterpretation.  Try explaining to a refugee that there is no food or
medicine or shelter because you don't want to enhance the negative energy in
the world.  Such fancies are the luxury of people whose stomachs are full and
who have a roof over their heads.
Christine