Re: Mondrian and Abstraction

Dec 19, 1997 01:13 AM
by Mark Kusek

> Keith wrote:
>
> I don't want to appear hostile because I visited your home page and
> like a lot of post-modern work, but I think it is time that we admit that if
> the emperor isn't totally nude, at least his fly is open!

I'm glad you visited my site, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

> I mean this whole idea that one is a co-creator with an empty or horribly
> messy canvas a la Jackson Pollock may be provocative of a certain type of
> meditative state, but it depends of what one brings to it, doesn't it?

It seems so, both for the artist and the audience. Pollack brought a lot
of psychology and a serious interest in shamanism to his work. He also
was not acting in a vacuum. He had the support of other artists,
thinkers, and critics who were in his circle at the time. His efforts
are well documented and appreciated, but there are lots of other people
who are just uncomfortable with emptiness or messiness in art as well as
in life. Expressing ambiguity in art seems to be a strong theme in the
art of the last half of this century. Maybe it just isn't to your
personal taste.

> I mean Da Vinici could have seen worlds in a Rorschach test, while most would
> see just ink blots.

Some people are more literal than others I guess. Lots of folks see all
kinds of stuff in ink blots, clouds, shadows on the wall, etc. I'm still
not sure what your point is. Are you saying that you feel like you're
sometimes being hoodwinked by the uncertainty of intent in works of
late- or post-modern art?

> I think the post-modern movement back to neo-classical echoes in art and
> architecture with a lot of humor thrown in, is a very healthy reaction to the
> dead end of giant ash trays and sliced embalmed cows that are or were
> recently exhibited in one of England' most prestigious galleries to the
> chagrin (and some resignations) of some art scholars -  see 60 MINUTES tv
> essay on this.

I didn't see the 60 minutes thing so I can't speak to it. When you
mention giant ashtrays, are you talking about work by Claus Oldenberg?
Why do you think that it is a dead end? How do you understand it? In any
event, art appreciation is entirely subjective. You are, of course,
welcome to your opinion and I support your right to it.

Mark
--------
WITHOUT WALLS: An Internet Art Space
http://www.withoutwalls.com