Re: blaming the victim

Sep 11, 1997 01:20 PM
by Tim Maroney

>Your paragraph, Jerry, is to me, an example of how easy it is for the "karma
>theory" to get ugly.

I agree with Kym; this "blame the victim" model is ugly. It's an
exagerration of the valid psychological observation that we are all
actively creating our own personal universes, contrary to a sort of
default illusion that the world is something that just happens to us. But
this does not mean that we bear the responsibility for every act that
happens to us. Blaming Ethiopian famine victims for the bad karma that
led to such incarnations is the lowest that I've seen this sink, but it's
often almost that appalling.

--
Tim Maroney    tim@maroney.org    http://www.maroney.org