Re: Hey, Chuck

Sep 10, 1997 06:42 PM
by Titus Roth

kymsmith@micron.net wrote:

> Titus wrote:

>> Diana, on the other hand ... Let me don my "bullet proof and flame proof
>> vest" .. She was a good woman, but no saint. It is right that she be
>> honored, but the public response seemed quite out of proportion to me.
>> Writing a check, meeting with dignitaries, or attending a banquet for a few
>> hours, while spending many other hours in resorts, luxury hotels and BMW's
>> is different from getting your fingers dirty and giving your *whole* life
>> to a cause.

> I believe you're overlooking the "symbolism" of Diana.  It has been said
> that most of the grief over Diana has been from women - I don't doubt this.
> It's hard to explain - unlike Mother Theresa, who is hailed to have had none
> (save Chuck) - it was Diana's "faults" and her overcoming of them, her
> stumbles, her dumb choices, etc. . .that brings her closer to people's
> hearts.

> Most of us know we'll never be a "Mother Theresa," but Diana showed us that
> we can still be compassionate, loving, able to laugh, to retain composure -
> despite our faults.

Many identified with Diana and projected their hopes and failures on her.  For
some, movie stars have also been carriers for such projections.  It's just
curious how timing and media combine to produce such figures.  Time will tell
how transforming Diana's death is for people affected. I personally find it
more inspiring when someone starts with no privileges but who through fervor
is able to overcome circumstance.  But to each their own.

> "Mother Theresa," kinda like Theosophy, hover just above "the masses."  But,
> it's people like Diana who know how to communicate to the general public who
> end up getting more of the message out there.  "Devotions to God" take many
> forms, I think.

Devotions do take many forms.  Which forms do more for a person than others
at a given stage of their life are sometimes difficult to predict.