Re: The Number 7

Aug 29, 1997 09:46 AM
by Vincent Beall

Bart Lidofsky wrote:

> Vincent Beall wrote:
> > It should be further understood that a triad such as a trinity of
> > persons etc., when taken as possible combinations of the elements
> > reveals seven subsets.

> > AB
> > AC
> > BC
> > ABC
> >
> > I hope this helps.
>
>         Unfortunately, not. Emily Sellon came up with that one. I never got a
> chance, before her death, to point out the flaw: It does not consider
> the empty set, which makes a total of eight (the empty set MUST be
> considered in mathematics).
>
>         I once proposed that the empty set stands for prolaya, and the 7 stands
> for manvantara, but got roundly laughed at for my trouble.
>
>         Bart Lidofsky

If the problem concerns metamathematics which is really very modern, one
would consider the null set, however, ancient metaphysics would 'not'
presume the null set as it would actually be a consideration of a fouth
element. Where one was considering the Hindu G-dhead for instance, the
practical aspect of trinity would be lost; the null set would not
represent any expression of the G-dhead, where subject of consideration
is G-d.

Vincent
--

vincent@dmv.com