hearing about theos-l

Aug 11, 1997 08:18 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

> Even when I found out about theos-xxxx some years ago, it was not with any
> help from anyone at Olcott. A member got all the good Karma by faxing me the
> subscription information at his own personal cost after I casually mentioned
> my interest in Internet during a phone call.
>
>         MKRamadoss

I read about the list in THE AMERICAN THEOSOPHIST and told others that I
knew that might be on the Internet about it at the time. This was in
September, 1993, when there were perhaps a dozen participants on the list.

Since then the list has grown to 100-to-120 participants and held steady
at that level, although there are occasional rounds of personal attachs
with a short-term fall off in subscribers, like in the Spring of 1996.

Over time, there may be several such theosophical "hangouts" on the
Internet, each with its own personality.

I don't think that this list, theos-l, is being banished or shunned.
My impression is that it's a free-for-all where people can get whatever
they like out of it -- anything from help on information being sought
to a hunting ground to try out their newly-sharpened claws. The only
drawback is that this isn't a good place to learn about Theosophy if
someone is new to the subject, since the wide diversity of opinions
from "there ain't any such thing" to "my way is enlightened and the
people worshiping those dusty old books are deluded" make it hard
for people to learn about the core philosophy.

I'll mention theos-l to people, but I can understand why some people
might not want to. The theos-l list is a good social hangout, and
a good soapbox for anyone to stand on and preach their ideas from.
And it's a good place for someone with a chip on their shoulders to
pick a barroom fight. But some people may want to create, promote,
and recommend to others places thah are "a good place to study
Theosophy", a different kind of hangout, but equally valid.

-- Eldon