Re: Entering the Pit of Sickly Sweet Ethics, once again...

Aug 01, 1997 06:43 PM
by Titus Roth

I didn't see my latest post on the subject appear. In case it disappeared,
here is the gist of it. (Unfortunately, I also lost Jerry's post, so
I can't put it in the context of his statements)

Ethics is a transcendental concept. Expressed in our dualistic world it
becomes a judgment of right or wrong. If we forget about the transcendent
truth involved, the judgment of right or wrong can harden and indeed possibly
cause evil instead of good. Behind every "thou shalt" and "thou shalt not" is
a spiritual principle that is real. It is just hard to codify it in a
comprehensive enough way to the point where it is unambiguously good in all
cases. That is the "letter of the law", tinkling brass, sounding cymbal.

The Psalmist spoke of these transcendent Ethics in the statement, "I will seal
my law into their inward parts."

We may be getting into trouble, Jerry, because I am talking about the
transcendent aspects, but I have to use poor words to do it. Maybe I also
misunderstood the "spirit" behind your words and we agree more than it appears.

- Titus