Kabbalah and theosophy

Jul 31, 1997 05:36 PM
by Vincent Beall

It is rather late here in Maryland, and I should be shuffling of to bed
so forgive me for opening a wide area with only brief remarks.

Firstly, I would like to thank Alan for publishing his "Keys to
Kabbalah" on the web. Some months ago while searching on "Kabbalah" I
found and read most of the book. My comprehension of the subject is just
beginning, but the treatment given in the work was serious, and
shouldn't be dismissed.

As for myself, since the days of childhood my interest has been
essential knowledge. Over the past fifteen years I have been looking to
geometry for essential keys. It seems that the geometric forms described
by Plato can come together as a "memory castle" as described by Frances
Yates in her work "Art of Memory", and further, this geometric 'fractal'
provides a perfect mnemonic for the Kabbalistic Tree of Life.

The fractal is very difficult for me to 'completely' imagine as I
suspect it would be for others, although, I am compelled for many
reasons to believe that it is an authentic part of Kabbalah. As I am
slowly becoming familiar with the Kabbalistic writtings and
commentaries, Kabbalah shows itself to be the best form in which to
propose theosophy.

The focus of any theosophy is the divine nature, and the true guide is
experiencing the higher self. So we should not become lost in our
symbols(where Kabbalah is awash with them). We should have a small but
comprehensive set of touch stones for description and importantly,
memory of things 'important'.  Kabbalah provides 32 to 39 symbols and if
one embraces the Tree as a fractal of Platonic forms, there are only
twelve to consider; the rest being derivable from the twelve.

Summing up, twelve symbols makes for a very complex, although,
manageable mnemonic structure.

Peace be with you,

Vincent
--