Re: Still connected

Jul 20, 1997 03:42 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Anette,
I'm too bushed just now to answer your letter at length, and I think it
warrants careful answering. I want to tell you that I've been studying
Theosophy since 1963, even though I only joined in 1978. So I know quite a
good deal, of the Adyar type Theosophy, and will probably be able to answer
at least partly any question you might have.

In this respect, I'm glad you're enjoying what's being written on Theos-l. I
just signed off from there. I happen to be a Leadbeater devotee, and people
keep on popping up on theos-l, who inisist on flaming Leadbeater. To me, he
was a Saint, and I have talked to some of his pupils who said the same
thing, and I don't in the least take stock of all the slanderous remarks
that keep on cropping up. I know certain people swear up & down that they're
true. I know as a fact that they're not, but it's not something I can prove.
I've tried that, and very conclusively, but the slanderers won't even
consider what I say. So I finally just signed off. I'll confine myself to
ts-l, which is, Leadbeater friendly. That's a prejudice I have. however, I
was the one who kept on saying on theos-l that we should open up the
discussion to all sorts of Theosophists. I think that would be nice, sure
would be different, and more productive than bickering. But they flame Alice
Baley devotees as well. I don't think Alice Bailey's teachings are as
profound as Leasdbeater's and Besant's and the miriad of writers who've
followed them during the past 120 years, but I wouldn't think of flaming
Bailey's writings or devotees. They're very devoted, and to rip into that
would only cause hurtful situations. I've been taught to be positive as much
as I can, because the subconscious doesn't differentiate between the nasty
things you say about yourself and/or somebody else. The subconscious just
reacts to something nasty or to something pleasant. Nasty statements hurt me
as much as the people I think I'm directing them to, so I try to refrain.
That's my kind of esoteric knowledge. Accentuate the positive.

The very fundamental thing of Theosophy is that you need to look at what we
have to offer, and then make up your own mind as to whatever has vibes
similar to your own, which you'd feel good about accepting. We say, at least
the very dyed in the wool Theosophists do, that reading about Theosophy
isn't enough, you need to digest what you read and be able to use it.
Learning formulas by heart isn't where it's at. Also, we do not ever ask
that you accept everything we present. To be a Theosophist the only thing
you must believe in is humanity, still expressed by Theosophists as "The
Brotherhood of Man", because we have a backward International President.

That for starters. More lateron.

Best wishes, happy search,

Liesel