Primacy of Existence?

Jul 20, 1997 06:06 PM
by Tom Robertson

One of the principal doctrines of both Objectivism and Marxism, that
their conclusions about the ideal political situation are at polar
opposites notwithstanding, is the primacy of existence - that before
there can be consciousness, there must be something of which to be
conscious.  HPB disagreed with this.  She believed that spirit and
matter are on equal terms, that neither of them are primary, and that
nothing can exist without both being present.  Since I generally agree
with what HPB wrote, and since it makes more sense to me intuitively,
I would like to believe her.  But is there a reason to believe, say,
that rocks are conscious, but by believing in such an authority as
her?