Wrong for me vs. wrong for all

May 27, 1997 12:09 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

Tom asks how I can simultaneously say that the choice
about lecture fees is up to an individual lodge, and that I
would boycott a lodge that charged them.  Same principle as that I
"boycott" cigarettes and liquor, and don't hang out in smoke-
filled bars, but don't mind other people doing so.

Lots of other analogies could be raised, but the bottom line is
that one can disapprove a course of action and dissociate
oneself from it without thereby trying to prevent others from
doing as they choose, or insisting that they live by one's own values.

It would have been more correct to say I would boycott the
lectures, since other events could either be free or things I
don't mind paying for.