Re: World Wide Mind

May 18, 1997 12:42 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 01:48 AM 5/18/97 -0400, Jaqtarin Samantha Triele wrote:
>The internet indeed has had quite in impact on the flow of information.
>Both right and wrong.  The trick is to find which is which.  I think the
>book you mentioned, Eldon, is definitely worth going through.
>
>As the years go by, we are provided with things that seem important in the
>"information age".  The Internet, faxes, phones, etc, ...things which get
>the information across the world easily.  One problem with this which was
>well pointed out, is that we lose the personal contact which greatly
>enhances the experience.  Nowadays, we feel that getting the information
>is enough.  It is a lot easier to be "book smart" than to have experience.
>We definitely have lost the initiative to go out and find what we want to
>understand.  The books seem to provide everything simply because we don't
>really know anymore what "everything" is.
>
>Another problem on the internet, due mostly the differences in language
>and culture, is the misunderstanding of concepts.  Something as simple as
>sarcasm will often not be recognized unless clearly stated.  I just love
>sarcasm. (sarcasm).  A lot is lost because we can't see facial expressions
>or hear tones.  Not everyone knows how to express their thoughts in
>writing as well as Blavatsky, or in music as well as Mozart.  Even they
>can be confusing at times.
>
>The internet, however, is already annihilating these problems.  A person
>can already see the person they are talking to on the net, so long as they
>have the appropriate software and the hardware to handle it.  It won't
>take long before the internet will be identical to meeting someone on the
>street.  And if virtual reality ever makes it to the net, (after some
>serious restructuring), you WILL be meeting someone on the street.
>
>Once these kinds of enhancements take place, the problems of cults and
>misinformation will only get worse, (or perhaps better, since one will be
>able to see the "leader".)  However, experience will be reinstituted in
>virtual form, (perhaps not psychically though), and correct information
>will be much easier to distinguish from the bs.
>
>---
>Jaqi.

Your points are well taken. Let me add my 2 cents worth.

I see Internet as just a tool like auto, airplane, telephone, fax, TV etc.

In any tool, there are always pluses and minuses. So long as the pluses
predominate the minuses then we have a tool which can be very helpful to many.

One of the problems I see from the view point of organizations, is that in
the past, they controlled the flow of information to its followers thru
personal gatherings, publications etc. Now that structure is threatened.
Information communication is instantaneous now and is very inexpensive.

>From what I have seen, many non commercial organizations have been very slow
in effectively using the new tool of communication. For example, recently I
inquired our TSA Board of Directors (individual Directors) as to if any of
them have e-mail address. One responded saying no and rest have not
responded. It looks like they still do not understand or appreciate the
usefulness of e-mail as a tool of communication. Of course with the quick
communication tool, you lose the slack that is available in the snail mail,
which is sometimes an advantage when you want to drag your feet.

It may be recalled that we had discussions on having some truly young blood
to be infused in the leadership. It is my guess that in the next 20 years,
when the present young generation comes into leadership position, each one
is likely to be very computer literate and have e-mail and would be
communicating with others using e-mail.

YMDMV