Lecture Styles

Mar 02, 1997 07:28 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

M K Ramadoss wrote:

> A side comment on lectures. From my experience, usually one can tell when
> someone is lecturing, if it is really coming from his whole being or just
> coming from the head.
>
> The latter, while nice to listen and could be very impressive to hear and
> appear very learned, does not have the same impact as the former. Also many
> times when you find a lecturer lecturing theosophical topics, and the
> lecturer is doing it just for living, not as someone who is really committed
> to Theosophy, it does not have the same impact. How could it good impact?
>
> So much for divergence on lectures.

	So much for the divurgence; it is now a main topic.

	In my past lectures, at least for the public, I have tried to maintain
balance, sticking to facts, labelling my opinions as such, and giving
other possibilities that might conflict with my opinions. As a result,
they were, at least in part, coming from my head and not my whole being.

	Since I have determined to take the attitude, "This is my lecture, this
is what I think, this is what I think is based upon", my lectures have
been much better received. I still label opinion and fact appropriately,
but I no longer give all the other possible opinions.

	Bart Lidofsky