Re: Compensation worldwide

Feb 07, 1997 11:56 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Einar Adalsteinsson & ASB wrote:

> It's my experience that TS workers are not at all enviable of
> their Work, at least not  money-vise, and by reading the posts
> on this list, their work doesn't seem much appreciated
> otherwise either.

JHE
No, workers are not appreciated.  As a person who for twenty
years devoted almost every non wage earning hour to working for
Theosophy, and spending every dollar not needed to live towards
this end, I would say that the least appreciation came from the
TS leadership.  Rather, I often found my efforts criticized and
undermined, and myself often co-opted.

EA
> Of course there are human problems inside the TS. In the
> management of any society there are always traces of revelry,
> envy, jealousy, etc. and it seems to be an "universal law" that
> those that never won't do anything but talk, always know best
> how NOT to do things!

JHE
Perhaps there are traces of rivalry, envy and jealousy, etc.
among the management, and this may be the source of the problem.
But I think more positive progress would be accomplished if an
effort were made to fix the problem rather than excuse them for
it.  There may indeed be a "`universal law' that those that never
won't so anything but talk, always know best how NOT to do
things"  but I never experienced such people to be the problem.
Rather, they occasionally come up with good ideas.  And
occasionally, one can motivate them to action.

EA
> If you are so unhappy about your position within the
> theosophical movement, as some of you seem to be, pick yourself
> a position or a field of work, and make that however small
> field an example for others to see. If you are really good at
> it, you will eventually end up being a "lamp unto others". But
> don't go about it by digging shit and throwing it on others,
> because then you will never get out of the mud-pool yourself.

JHE
After years of backbiting and undermining of our efforts by the
TS leadership, we moved to another town and formed study groups
of our own that are independent of any Theosophical Organization.
It is a good feeling to find that we are able to continue
teaching Theosophy without having to depend upon the TS and
without being undermined or co-opted by them.  Our study groups
are psychologically healthier for not having to deal with TS
politics and history--two subjects we never discuss.  I would say
that since my wife and I began to work independently, our efforts
have been more fruitful than ever.

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |