Re: Simple Language - Low Fog Index

Jan 25, 1997 07:05 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

MKR:

>Here is something I read in another maillist. Looks like it can be use by TS.
>Simple language can helps to reach more people.
>
>"Why do these people have to use all those big
> words to communicate. Does it make them feel
> more important or do they have to talk like
> that to be in this particular group. In most cases
> simple words will do. If the group is for
> everyone why not speak simply."  Gayee

It depends upon *what* you want to talk about. If we keep things
simple enough, things will sound like READER'S DIGEST and be
understood and helpful for the hundreds of millions. But we
won't be talking about anything particularly profound. On the
other hand, we have access to mind-stretching doctrines that can
challenge the most agile of minds. Some may leave new readers
thinking "huh?" or "baloney!" but with further study can reveal
their inner beauty. A jargon or language is needed to refer to
the vast ideas we have access to, some words to use to talk about
things that would otherwise remain inarticulate. Judge compared
Theosophy to the ocean, offering a shoreline for casual swimmers
but also containing depths to challenge the most advanced students.

I agree that we want to keep our language clear, lucid, and not
unnecessarily buried in arcane terminology. On the other hand,
I wouldn't rope off the depths of the ocean and say that there
should only be wading in the shallow waters.

-- Eldon