Re: Simple Language - Low Fog Index

Jan 25, 1997 08:30 PM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Eldon B. Tucker wrote:

> MKR:
>
> >Here is something I read in another maillist. Looks like it can be use by TS.
> >Simple language can helps to reach more people.
> >
> >"Why do these people have to use all those big
> > words to communicate. Does it make them feel
> > more important or do they have to talk like
> > that to be in this particular group. In most cases
> > simple words will do. If the group is for
> > everyone why not speak simply."  Gayee
>
> It depends upon *what* you want to talk about. If we keep things
> simple enough, things will sound like READER'S DIGEST and be
> understood and helpful for the hundreds of millions. But we
> won't be talking about anything particularly profound. On the
> other hand, we have access to mind-stretching doctrines that can
> challenge the most agile of minds. Some may leave new readers
> thinking "huh?" or "baloney!" but with further study can reveal
> their inner beauty. A jargon or language is needed to refer to
> the vast ideas we have access to, some words to use to talk about
> things that would otherwise remain inarticulate. Judge compared
> Theosophy to the ocean, offering a shoreline for casual swimmers
> but also containing depths to challenge the most advanced students.
>
> I agree that we want to keep our language clear, lucid, and not
> unnecessarily buried in arcane terminology. On the other hand,
> I wouldn't rope off the depths of the ocean and say that there
> should only be wading in the shallow waters.
>
> -- Eldon

I see your point. Should we set up multiple theos-ls catering to
different fog levels. Just an idea.

There is yet another problem which needs to be addressed. I would preface
it to say I do not have a solution.

The problem is how to make Theosophy reach the masses, especially the
less intelligent, less educated person. It would be a very valuable
statistical information to find out the distribution of TS members by
various categories such as age, sex, ethnic background, religious
background, education, profession, etc. I know of no such study so far.
If this kind of information is available, then TS can think of how to
reach the various under represented segments of the population. May be
such an effort may be the salvation of TS in the 21st century.

Any one has any ideas?

MKRamadoss