Intuition and thinking

Jan 21, 1997 02:12 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

In Jungian terms, intuition is a mode of perception, while
thinking is a mode of judgment.  It is not correct IMO to say
that you can't have valid intuitions without valid thinking
(i.e. logic).  Since perception is prior to judgment (or should
be, although in some Theosophical consciousnesses it's not) one
can have genuine intuitions, even remarkably acute ones, while
having poor or distorted thinking skills.  For example, William
Blake, Salvador Dali, our very own Theosophical Aleksandr
Skriabin, all really nutty people from a logical point of view,
whose intuitive perceptions have enriched humanity tremendously.

What I don't understand and would like to throw out for
discussion is how Theosophy has become so stale and dry as a
movement, so dominated by judgment and lacking in perception.
I cannot think of a really fresh outlook or stirring new
perception that has emerged in Theosophical literature in
decades.  And yet the movement began with a person who was much
more an intuitive than a thinking type.  Somewhere along the
line, maybe in the wake of Krishnamurti's defection, the
intuitive side seems to have shriveled up and died.  What
happened?