Re: Intuition and thinking

Jan 21, 1997 06:18 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 05:14 PM 1/21/97 -0500, "K. Paul Johnson" <pjohnson@leo.vsla.edu> wrote:

>What I don't understand and would like to throw out for
>discussion is how Theosophy has become so stale and dry as a
>movement, so dominated by judgment and lacking in perception.
>I cannot think of a really fresh outlook or stirring new
>perception that has emerged in Theosophical literature in
>decades.  And yet the movement began with a person who was much
>more an intuitive than a thinking type.  Somewhere along the
>line, maybe in the wake of Krishnamurti's defection, the
>intuitive side seems to have shriveled up and died.  What
>happened?

        IMHO, the Theosophy took a wrong turn when the "Leadbeater
Theosophy" Model was put in place. When the TS was launched, in one of the
most important letters it was clearly stated that the Chiefs want a
Brotherhood of Humanity and but not a school of Psychology (I am quoting
from memory).

        Self improvment and study of the matters relating to the unseen side
of the world was ok, IMHO, but when it was *not* pursued with the primary
objective/application in the area of improving the conditions of Humanity,
the dynamism that existed in the early days disappeared. So long as the
thrust/emphasis continues to be (as it appears to me) a recruiting and
training ground for a future sixth root race in 700 years from now and
totally neglecting what can be done today, it appears to me to be a selfish
endeavor and in such a condition how can one expect the dynamism and growth
that was there is the early days.

        In referring to the conditions existing almost 70 years ago in
Adyar, Krishnamurti stated that "Adyar is a lovely place, but people there
are dead" seem to summarize the conditions then existing. He had lived there
and hence he was brutally honest about what he saw. I am not sure what has
changed since then.

        Again I may be wrong on all of the above. But it is a good topic and
others may be able to see the whole picture from a different point of view
and we can all benefit from a honest discussion.

MKR aka Doss